To all my nurses and other medical professionals out there looking for a stethoscope, look no further!! I’ve gone through 3 Littmann stethoscopes so far. Yes 3!! You would think I’d have learned by now not to leave my stethoscopes lying around in the emergency department; never to be seen again! But if it weren’t for that, I would have never met my Littmann Cardiology III!
* This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I may get a small commission for referring you. This is of course at no extra cost to you!
What is so cool about the Littmann Cardiology III Stethoscope?
- For those of you who take care of adult and pediatric patients you will love the fact that this stethoscope is two in one. It has a double chest piece, pediatric on one side and adult on the other. It has saved me so much time and I can’t tell you how many times I have had people borrow my stethoscope for a peds patient because there were no pediatric stethoscopes lying around! If you don’t need the pediatric side, just take off the removable diaphragm and you have a perfectly working open bell. As an ER nurse, I don’t use the bell that often so I keep the peds diaphragm attached and flip back and forth as needed. No more searching for a pediatric stethoscope!
- This Littmann stethoscope also has a tunable diaphragm. For those of you thinking, what the hell does that mean, it means with light pressure you can hear low frequencies and with firm pressure you can hear higher frequencies. Essentially, you can hear different sounds by adjusting the pressure on the diaphragm. Cool right? This comes in handy when listening to lung sounds and believe me when I say that the acoustics on this thing are phenomenal.
- Ear tips on these stethoscopes are soft and they snap on the ends really well. I have yet to have one fall off. Littman also boasts that their tubing is resistant to oils, alcohol, and stains. This is true for me so far. I have had mine for over a year now and it still looks brand new. Not only that, but it has double lumen tubing that is essential for decreasing any background noise. If you work in a very busy environment, this is sure to come in handy.
- PLUS…it is LATEX FREE!! Latex is very commonly used in the tubing of stethoscopes and even on the chest piece. Many people are allergic nowadays so best to steer clear. You also get a 5-year warranty! So thank you Littmann!
- It comes in several different color variations and two tube lengths (22″ and 27″). Not only that but if you want to make it a little harder for someone to steal your precious set of ears, scrubsandbeyond.com gives you the option to engrave your name on the chest piece. This is especially nice since permanent ink, stickers, and other name tags tend to wear off after awhile.
So if you’re looking for a new stethoscope be sure to check out the Littmann Cardiology III OR Cardiology IV. The Cardiology IV is very similar but claims to have a little bit better acoustics and comes with a 7 year warranty.
You will love it!!